Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Martha's House

It was just a snag.  It wasn't long before we found a homeless shelter in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. With their beautiful beaches and mansions, Ft. Lauderdale wasn’t exactly Burkina Faso but we were working with a very needy group, the homeless, and it was good enough. My supervisor thought I was great, mostly because I actually really cared about the kids.  I also was a volunteer.  I could have stayed there, but I kept thinking, “this is only the beginning, I have much more important work to do.” My wife and I felt special because we were still saving the world by helping homeless kids get jobs, and it was nice that people were appreciating our extra work. But something was growing inside me, slowly and unconsciously.

It was a small voice that was always there, telling me I was special, that I was different from everyone around me.  Even worse, maybe I wasn't just different, I was better than everybody else.  It's start as confidence, but can quickly turn to hubris.  Once, when I was dropped off at a hospital with one of our homeless kids, we were told it would take a while for our ride to come back and pick us up. So we took the bus. The director was amazed that we had taken the bus and mentioned to me how all the employees couldn’t get over it. I started to think, “I am special, God has something planned for me.”  I should mention here that I was religious in the sense that I believed God had a direct hand in my future, that there was a path laid out before me, and all I had to do was to courageously follow it no matter what. There was path.  But I didn't know I was the one paving it.

No comments: